A race of towering, hairy bipeds, the Wookiees were one of the most recognizable species in the galaxy. They were renowned for their great strength, their intelligence, their loyalty and their short temper. Due to their appearance, they were sometimes referred to as “walking carpets”. (Source Wookieepedia)
1. Complete hair suit using natural or synthetic fibers. Hair should be natural colors such as brown, blond, auburn, black, grey, or white. Hair should average at least 6 inches or longer, but 8-10 inch long hair is preferred. Complete coverage is required; no bald spots or exposed skin/undersuit.
2. Faux fur is not allowed unless hair extensions have been added. No yarn or shag carpet Wookiees. The hair must maintain a consistent quality/type throughout the suit.
3. Dark brown, gray, or black gloves should be worn. There should be enough overlap between the gloves and the wrists of the hair suit that no skin is exposed. Gloves may be made of leather, vinyl, cloth, or rubber.
4. When worn, the feet must be completely covered with hair except for the bottom and the toes. The toes and toenails/claws must be visible.
5. The mask must completely cover the head and neck, without completely obscuring the shape of the shoulders. The eyes, a smooth black nose, and a large jaw/muzzle should all be clearly visible. A slight mustache like feature should be present as well.
6. The mask hair should be smooth and well groomed, not bushy, so that the mask’s shape and structure are clear. Beards, mustaches, dreadlocks and other features are encouraged.
7. Static masks should not be frozen in a fully opened position. All static mouths should be closed.
8. Although a functioning jaw and/or lip snarl is not required, the skin and lips of any mechanical masks should appear as one piece, rather than a separated jaw and and face. This refers only to the mask’s outward appearance, not the underskull. Costumers should be aware that mechanical jaws and lips are complex projects requiring purpose-built components using special materials. They cannot simply be added to an existing latex rubber mask. Consult the costuming resources and fellow Wookiee costumers for advice on this project.
For formal status, you must be at least 7 feet tall while in costume. Lifts, stilts, and other height-enhancing footwear can achieve this.