CHARACTER DESCRIPTION Chewbacca (or “Chewie”, as he was known by his friends) was a legendary Wookiee from Kashyyyk and co-pilot of Han Solo’s ship, the Millennium Falcon. He was the son of Attichitcuk, the husband of Mallatobuck, and the father of Lumpawaroo. (Source Wookieepedia)
1. Complete hair suit using natural or synthetic fibers. Most of the hair should be a medium-brown color. The outsides of the knees, the shoulders, the upper back, and the back of the head should be a dark brown, gray, or a mix. Hair should average at least 6 inches or longer, but 8-10 inch long hair is preferred. Complete coverage is required; no bald spots or exposed skin/undersuit.
2. Faux fur is not allowed unless hair extensions have been added. No yarn or shag carpet Wookiees. The hair must maintain a consistent quality/type throughout the suit.
3. Dark brown leather or faux leather bandolier, approximately 3 inches wide with a narrow center strap, with 8 or 9 smooth large metallic boxes and 8 or 9 smooth small metallic boxes spaced evenly along the bandolier with the narrow center strap going over the boxes. The ends of the bandolier should be tapered and attach to a medium-sized leather or suede pouch with a large flap cover. The bandolier should hang from the left shoulder across the torso with the pouch resting on the right thigh.
4. Dark brown, gray, or black gloves should be worn. There should be enough overlap between the gloves and the wrists of the hair suit that no skin is exposed. Gloves may be made of leather, vinyl, cloth, or rubber.
5. When worn, the feet must be completely covered with hair except for the bottom and the toes. The toes and toenails/claws must be visible.
6. The mask must completely cover the head and neck, without completely obscuring the shape of the shoulders. The eyes, a smooth black nose, and a large jaw/muzzle should all be clearly visible. A slight mustache like feature should be present as well. The mask hair should be smooth and well groomed, not bushy, so that the mask’s shape and structure are clear.
7. Static masks should not be frozen in a fully opened position. All static mouths should be closed.
8. Although a functioning jaw and/or lip snarl is not required, the skin and lips of any mechanical masks should appear as one piece, rather than a separated jaw and and face. This refers only to the mask’s outward appearance, not the underskull. Costumers should be aware that mechanical jaws and lips are complex projects requiring purpose-built components using special materials. They cannot simply be added to an existing latex rubber mask. Consult the costuming resources and fellow Wookiee costumers for advice on this project.
For formal status, you must be at least 7 feet tall while in costume. Lifts, stilts, and other height-enhancing footwear can achieve this.